Readability works great in Safari, but I do most of my web reading in NetNewsWire, the RSS reader by Brent Simmons of Newsgator. And NetNewsWire does not have a bookmarks bar where I could put the Readability bookmarklet.
Run Script Editor and create an AppleScript like the following:
- Go to the Readability web page to create a bookmarklet with your preferred settings
- Right-click (or Control-click) the bookmark and choose Copy Link
- Save your script (e.g. to the Desktop)
- Choose Open Scripts Folder from the Script menu in NetNewsWire
- Copy your saved script to the NetNewsWire Scripts folder
Once you’ve followed these steps your script will be listed in NetNewsWire’s Scriptmenu, and you can choose it to invoke Readability for the currently displayed web page.