Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
After download - files automatically open (3 posts)
- Started 8 years ago by ktmfan
- Latest reply 8 years ago from monoclast
Is there a way to keep files from automatically opening after a Fetch download? For example, when I download several PDFs at one time, they will all open in Acrobat as soon as they are downloaded. I don't need them to open. I just want to download them. Thanks in advance for any help.
P.S. -- I am using Fetch 4.0.3
[This message has been edited by ktmfan (edited 11-14-2006).]
I found this fix on a previous post...it fixed the issue.
Administrator posted 10-24-2006 10:24 AM
To disable the automatic opening of files after they've been downloaded in Fetch 4, you should use the Post-Processing dialog. Do the following in Fetch:
* Choose Customize > Post-Processing
* You'll see a list of file types, and the applications they are set to open in.
* Find the types of files you want to stop from opening automatically, select their entry, and click the Disable button.
* In your case, you probably want to select the all the entries that include the words "Zip" and "StuffIt" (there will probably be several of each), and the entry for "Portable Document Format" (that's PDF).
* Then click the OK button. The files should no longer automatically open.
Please let us know if this does not do what you want.
I see no "Customize" menu. Where is it?
I'd like to request that there be a way to turn automatic decoding for ALL files on or off. I find it such a pain to have to do turn it off for each filee type, each time I install Fetch:
1. Find all of the types of files on an FTP server I want to change this setting for (some of which may not exist on the server - this in itself is a pain).
2. Get Info on each of those files.
3. Turn "Automatic Decode" off.
In fact I really have to question whether this feature should be on by default to begin with. If I download whatever.tar.gz I do truly expect to find whatever.tar.gz on my desktop. I do not expect it to already be expanded, and for the original file to be vanished from my desktop. So I'd like to make a second request that you make the default OFF for this feature as well.
- Page 1