Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
Connection properties (2 posts)
- Started 8 years ago by wellsprings
- Latest reply 8 years ago from Scott McGuire
A friend of mine has asked me to help sort out her website but isn't sure how to find out her ftp connection details - I think someone set it up for her.
Where would she look for Host name/ username/ password in the program - and is there a way of retrieving lost passwords/ creating new ones if it comes up as unreadable?
Many thanks in anticipation
Scott McGuire Administrator
It may be simpler to contact your friend's web hosting provider (or Internet service provider) and just get the connection details from them.
But you can look for connection details in Fetch in two places - the shortcuts and the recent connections. Shortcuts must be set up manually by the user; recent connections are automatically remembered by Fetch. In both cases the password would only be listed as bullets, though, and for security reasons is not easy to retrieve. There may be a way to retrieve it in certain circumstances; if you find the connection you're looking for, contact us and we can tell you how to do that.
In Fetch 4:
* To see the shortcuts, choose Window > Fetch Shortcuts. You can see the connection details of a shortcut by selecting the shortcut and choosing Customize > Edit Shortcut. This will show you the hostname, username, and path to connect to.
* To see a list of recent connections, look at the File > Recent Connections menu. Choosing an item from that menu will open a connection to the server; the only way to see the information used to open that connection would be to create a shortcut after the connection has been opened. Choose Customize > New Shortcut to create a shortcut.
In Fetch 5:
* Choose File > New Connection. In the New Connection dialog, there are two pop-up menus at the upper right. The icon with a clock is the pop-up menu for Recent Connections, and the icon with a heart is the pop-up menu for shortcuts. Choose the desired entry from either one, and the New Connection dialog will fill out with the details for that connection for you to see.
If the connection details you need have not been stored as a shortcut or in recent connections, there is no way to retrieve them using Fetch. Fetch cannot change passwords; you'd have to talk to your friend's web hosting provider to do that.
Please let us know if you have additional questions. Thanks,
- Page 1