Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
Copy files to different directories (2 posts)
- Started 12 years ago by chillmost
- Latest reply 12 years ago from Jim Matthews
I need to copy files from one directory to another without deleting the originals. I could just upload them again but they are huge in number and size and my connection is puny. It would take forever. Is there a way with Fetch 4 to do this? I heard there was, that is why I got it. Do I need to purchase it first to activate this feature?
Anybody know what the dilly is?
Jim Matthews Administrator
There isn't a straight-forward way to do that in Fetch, but there may be a sneaky way. Here are the steps:
1) Turn on direct server-server transfers. To do this, run the following AppleScript in Script Editor:
tell application "Fetch 4.0.1"
set direct server to server transfers to true
2) Open two transfer windows to the same server, using different hostnames or userids. This is necessary to fool Fetch into thinking that the connections are to different servers. One way to get a different hostname is to instead connect to its IP address. Let me know if you need help finding the server's IP address.
3) Navigate one transfer window to the directory holding the files you want to copy, the other to the directory where you want the copied files to go. Then drag the file and/or folder icons from one transfer window to the other.
This might not work -- not all servers support this trick. But the copy should be very fast if it does work.
- Page 1
This topic has been closed.