Your best friend for file transfer.

Fetch application logoFetch

Fetch OSX truncating downloads (12 posts)

This is an archived topic. The information in it is likely to be out-of-date and no longer applicable to current versions of Fetch.
  • Started 10 years ago by fetch
  • Latest reply 10 years ago from fetch
  • fetch Member

    This is weird. I download a file from a server and it is called "TransmissionServiceCustomers.pdf".

    When it gets to my harddrive Fetch has renamed it "TransmissionServiceCustomer.pdf" - it deleted the "s" at the end of "Customer".

    QUESTION: Is there a way to make Fetch tell me it is doing this before, during or afterwards.?

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • Jim Matthews Administrator

    Mac OS 9 (and earlier) can only deal with 31 character file names, so Fetch has to squeeze that name to fit. There isn't a way to know when Fetch has done that (other than to observe that the original file name is too long). On Mac OS X Fetch won't do this unless the name is over 255 characters.

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • fetch Member

    Thanks Jim, but I am using OSX and the file was not 255 characters in length - any other ideas why Fetch for OSX does this?
    Thanks again for any leads on this...

    Originally posted by JimMatthews:

    Mac OS 9 (and earlier) can only deal with 31 character file names, so Fetch has to squeeze that name to fit. There isn't a way to know when Fetch has done that (other than to observe that the original file name is too long). On Mac OS X Fetch won't do this unless the name is over 255 characters.

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • Jim Matthews Administrator

    That's surprising. I just tried downloading a file with that name with Fetch 4.0.3 on OS X and the name was not truncated. Do you know if the file was encoded in some format (such as MacBinary, AppleSingle, or BinHex)? Or is it possible that the disk it was saved to was formatted as Mac OS (aka HFS) rather than Mac OS Extended (aka HFS

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • fetch Member

    Hi - i am runnign system version: Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73). How can i tell if my harrdrive was formatted as HFS or Extended? I've looked in system profiler with no luck.

    Also, the file in question's mode is Binary before I download. BYW, I am downloading from an NT webserver -

    I tried another type of doc just to test and it also truncated this: "Written_Exceptions_Cover_Letter.DOC" to this" Written_Exceptions_Cover_Le.DOC"

    Any more ideas...

    Originally posted by JimMatthews:

    That's surprising. I just tried downloading a file with that name with Fetch 4.0.3 on OS X and the name was not truncated. Do you know if the file was encoded in some format (such as MacBinary, AppleSingle, or BinHex)? Or is it possible that the disk it was saved to was formatted as Mac OS (aka HFS) rather than Mac OS Extended (aka HFS

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • Jim Matthews Administrator

    If you select a hard disk icon in the Finder and choose Get Info it should identify its format.

    If your disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended then I'm very puzzled as to why this is happening. Fetch should display the format of the file being downloaded in the right hand side of the window during and after a transfer; what does it say for these transfers?

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • fetch Member

    Hi - Okay, I did that and yes it says: Format: MAC OS Extended. And During the Fetch transfer it says Binary.

    Thanks so much for looking into this. What's next?

    Originally posted by JimMatthews:

    If you select a hard disk icon in the Finder and choose Get Info it should identify its format.

    If your disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended then I'm very puzzled as to why this is happening. Fetch should display the format of the file being downloaded in the right hand side of the window during and after a transfer; what does it say for these transfers?

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • Jim Matthews Administrator

    Could you post the contents of the Fetch Transcript window after you download a file and see that its name has been shortened to 31 characters?

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • fetch Member

    hi - the transcript says it transfers it with the "s" - I pasted it below for you to see (I took out the actual website name though)

    TYPE I
    200 Type is Image (Binary)
    SIZE TransmissionServiceCustomers.pdf
    213 8200
    MDTM TransmissionServiceCustomers.pdf
    213 20031202204159
    PASV
    227 Entering Passive Mode (207,51,84,39,14,103)
    RETR TransmissionServiceCustomers.pdf
    150 "/Webs/websiteinfohere/pdfs/TransmissionServiceCustomers.pdf" file ready to send (8200 bytes) in IMAGE / Binary mode
    226 Transfer finished successfully.
    Download completed at 12/8/03 1:11:50 PM (state == RGET_RETRIEVING)

    Originally posted by JimMatthews:

    Could you post the contents of the Fetch Transcript window after you download a file and see that its name has been shortened to 31 characters?

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • Jim Matthews Administrator

    Are you running Fetch 4.0.3?

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • fetch Member

    No - it is 4.0.1 - I apologize for not supplying that info first thing - I will upgrade and see what happens.

    Originally posted by JimMatthews:

    Are you running Fetch 4.0.3?

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    Posted 10 years ago #

  • fetch Member

    Okay - that did the trick! sorry about all the hassle and thanks for helping me out!

    Originally posted by fetch:

    No - it is 4.0.1 - I apologize for not supplying that info first thing - I will upgrade and see what happens.

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by JimMatthews:
    [b]Are you running Fetch 4.0.3?

    Thanks,

    Jim Matthews
    Fetch Softworks

    [/B][/QUOTE]

    Posted 10 years ago #

Topic closed

This topic has been closed.