Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
Folder Permissions Default to 000 (3 posts)
- Started 5 years ago by studio1923
- Latest reply 1 year ago from Jim Matthews
I can't seem to get my set permissions to accept anything. I enter 755 and then set the permissions, but when I upload a folder to my server, the permissions are set to 000. Anyone know why this is happening?
Originally all the files were set to upload 775, but then I went in and set permissions to 755 and now all files uploaded are defaulted to 000.
Scott McGuire Administrator
There are a couple of things that may be causing your problem.
First, if I understand you correctly, you are setting permissions on the files/folders on your Macintosh, and then uploading the files/folders, is that correct?
If so, one problem is that Fetch does not preserve permissions when uploading, so setting the permissions of the files/folders while they are on the Mac will not do what you want.
The permissions of uploaded files/folders are set by the server. If the default permissions the server gives the files are not acceptable, you need to set the permissions of the files on the server using Fetch after you upload them.
However, it is possible that your permissions are being set correctly by the server and you just need to take an extra step to verify that. Usually Fetch will show the permissions of just uploaded items as "000", even though that is not the true state of the permissions.
To see the true permissions, you must refresh the file list (go to the View menu and choose Refresh, or click the Refresh button in the transfer window) after uploading the files/folders, and then Get Info on the items again.
So here's what I recommend:
* Do not make any changes to the permissions of your files on the Mac before uploading them.
* Upload your files/folders.
* After they are uploaded, go to the View menu, and choose Refresh.
* Select the folder and click the Get Info button.
* Check to see if the permissions are correct. If they are not, enter new permissions using Fetch's info window, and click the Apply button beneath the permission checkboxes.
Please let us know if this helps or if you are still having problems or have questions.
Jim Matthews Administrator
As of Fetch 5.7, Fetch no longer displays 000 as the permissions for just-uploaded files and folders.
- Page 1