Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
FTP help-files won't show! (2 posts)
- Started 4 years ago by Lauren
- Latest reply 4 years ago from Scott McGuire
I don't know if it's ok to post this here, I just desperately need help with an FTP problem and I don't know where to find help! I'm using an FTP program to create a website for my sorority. I've never used FTP before, but everything I've seen says you simply upload the files from my computer into the section of the ftp program that connects to the server. Well I have done this, yet my files will not show up! I am not the first person in my sorority to use this program to do our website (yet no one can seem to help me.....) so I've deleted all the files that were previously in the program, and all that is in the website section is my files...but still nothing on the website!! Is there anyone who can help me?? Thanks!!
Scott McGuire Administrator
This message forum is for questions about using Fetch, an FTP & SFTP client for the Macintosh. Which FTP program and web design program are you using?
Some general advice:
* You may need to empty your web browser's cache in order to see the latest files you uploaded. In Safari on the Macintosh, go to the Safari menu and choose Empty Cache. Then quit your web browser, open it again, and visit your website and see if your changes appear now.
* If that doesn't help, check to make sure you uploaded your website files to the correct folder on the server. On many servers, the files that make up your website must go in a specially named folder, for example, one named "public_html", "htdocs", or "www" — the exact name of the folder will depend on your server. Usually you do not need to create this folder, it will already exist.
If you are unsure which folder you should put your website files in, you should contact the company or person that runs the server and ask which folder you should upload website files to.
* Sometimes the problem is that you have uploaded the folder containing all your website files, but what you really need to do is upload the contents of the folder containing you website files, but not the folder itself. Whether this is the case or not for you depends on which program you used to create your website.
- Page 1