Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
Not Found (4 posts)
- Started 5 years ago by jham4185
- Latest reply 5 years ago from Scott McGuire
The requested URL / was not found on this server.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.soulshockers.com Port 80
I have 'put' my file using Fetch. At first it kept timing out. After I purchased the full version, it went all the way through. The dog barked. When I go to the site, I get the error about. Sometimes it is the 404 Error. Above is the last error I received. I get the file from iweb into Fetch.
Can you help me?
Scott McGuire Administrator
The most common problem when trying to upload pages created with iWeb is that for your website to work correctly once you upload it, after you publish your website to a folder, you need to upload the contents of the folder - but not the folder itself - to your server.
Try following these instructions for uploading iWeb-created websites:
1. Create a folder on your desktop with the name of your website (something like "My WebSite March 5").
2. In iWeb, go to the File menu, and choose Publish to a Folder.
3. You will be prompted to choose a folder to put your website files in. Choose the folder you created on your desktop.
4. iWeb will export the files that make up your website.
5. Open Fetch.
6. Enter the information for your server into the New Connection dialog and click Connect.
7. A new window listing the folder and files on your server appears. This is the Fetch transfer window.
8. In the transfer window, open the folder where you want to put your website files. You can change to a different folder by double-clicking on its icon. (Note that on some servers you do not need to change to a different folder.)
9. Open the website folder you created on your desktop. You will see an index.html and one or more folders.
10. Select all of these and drag them to the transfer window of Fetch.
11. Fetch will start uploading your files and folders. The dog cursor runs until Fetch has finished putting your files on to the server.
12. Once Fetch has finished uploading, visit your website to make sure it looks correct.
Let us know if it's still not working after you try this.
I tried that but still get the same result. If this would have worked, is this the process I would have to go through everytime I update the site?
Scott McGuire Administrator
Yes, that's pretty much what you'd need to do each time. You could use Fetch's Mirror command which would save you a couple of steps; once we sort out why it's not working this time I can point you in the direction of instructions for that.
As for why your webpage still isn't showing up, could you please do the following? It will give us more information about how things are set up on your server and hopefully I can give some advice about what to try next after seeing it:
* Quit Fetch, if it's running.
* Open Fetch again.
* Connect to your server.
* Go to the View menu, and choose Refresh.
* Go to the Window menu, and choose Fetch Transcript.
* Copy the entire contents of the transcript window, and paste them into a reply to this message.
- Page 1