Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
Problem with homepage (3 posts)
- Started 5 years ago by succubus
- Latest reply 5 years ago from succubus
Please help me! I finally uploaded my site to the web, but now the homepage is coming up as 'Index of /' with files listed below. I have no idea how to get it to my main page (which is live, just not in the right spot)
The url is http://www.icreate-media.com/ you can see the actual site by clicking on the 'iCreateMedia.com/' folder on the homepage.
This is the page I want to show up when you type in the main URL.... http://www.icreate-media.com/iCreateMedia.com/Home.html
Please help, I am trying to get this site up and running for my mom's business.
Scott McGuire Administrator
In order for your website created with iWeb to work correctly once you upload it, you need to upload the contents of the folder you published the website to - but not the folder itself - to your server.
For example, your website is called "iCreateMedia.com", and it looks like to me when you used "Publish to a Folder," you told iWeb to put its files in a folder also called "iCreateMedia.com".
So once iWeb was done publishing the site, in the Finder you had:
And inside that folder would be:
iCreateMedia.com (another folder)
For your website to work correctly, you must be sure to upload both that index file, and the second "iCreateMedia.com" folder - that is, upload the entire contents of the first "iCreateMedia.com" folder, but don't upload the first "iCreateMedia.com" folder itself.
(I hope this makes sense - it's a little confusing since I believe you have two folders with the same name.)
These are the steps we recommend you follow for uploading iWeb-created websites. I recommend you delete the folder on the server that you have already uploaded before trying again.
1. Create a folder on your desktop with the name of your website (something like "My Website March 5").
2. In iWeb, go to the File menu, and choose Publish to a Folder.
3. You will be prompted to choose a folder to put your website files in. Choose the folder you created on your desktop.
4. iWeb will export the files that make up your website.
5. Open Fetch.
6. Enter the information for your server into the New Connection dialog and click Connect.
7. A new window listing the folder and files on your server appears. This is the Fetch transfer window.
8. In the transfer window, open the folder where you want to put your website files. You can change to a different folder by double-clicking on its icon. (Note that on some servers you do not need to change to a different folder.)
9. Open the website folder you created on your desktop. You will see an index.html and one or more folders.
10. Select all of these and drag them to the transfer window of Fetch.
11. Fetch will start uploading your files and folders. The dog cursor runs until Fetch has finished putting your files on to the server.
12. Once Fetch has finished uploading, visit your website to make sure it looks correct.
Please let us know if you are still having problems after giving this advice a try.
thank you so much! the site is working properly now :-)
- Page 1