Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
Refused Connection Message (2 posts)
- Started 4 years ago by Lindsay
- Latest reply 4 years ago from Scott McGuire
I'm trying to upload a theme I've downloaded to Wordpress and this is the first time doing it. Every time I try, I get the same error message: "An FTP connection to...could not be opened because the connection was refused".
Can someone please help me with this? I think I am entering all the information correctly, but maybe it's something silly that I'm overlooking.
Thank you in advance!
Scott McGuire Administrator
That message usually indicates one of three things:
1. You are not entering the correct information (most likely the wrong hostname);
2. You are trying to connect using FTP and the server only supports SFTP, or vice versa;
3. Or there is a problem with the server you are trying to connect to.
So, you should contact the company or people who run the server, and verify that you do have the correct hostname, username, and password; check to see whether you should connect via SFTP or FTP, and choose the correct one from the "Connect using" pop-up menu in the New Connection dialog; and if you did have all the correct information, tell them you got a connection refused message and ask them to check to see if there is a problem with the server.
If you are still having problems after talking to them and verifying that all your information is correct and that the server is working, let us know and we can try to advise further.
- Page 1