Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
Normally Fetch automatically decodes certain kinds of encoded, compressed, and archived files (such as BinHex, MacBinary, StuffIt archives, or Zip archives) after downloading them. If that is the behavior you want, no changes are necessary.
However, you can tell Fetch to stop decoding all or certain kinds of encoded and archived files.
To tell Fetch to stop expanding or decoding all files, or re-enable automatic decoding of all files if you previously turned it off:
- Choose Fetch > Preferences .
- Click the Download tab.
- Check or uncheck the Allow automatic decoding of downloaded files checkbox.
Note that disabling decoding of all files will disable Fetch's automatic decoding of BinHex, MacBinary, and AppleSingle files in addition to diabling Zip and StuffIt archive expanding.
To tell Fetch to stop automatically decoding a certain kind of file, or re-enable automatic decoding for that kind of file if you previously turned it off:
- Connect to your server, and find a file whose name ends with an extension for the kind of file that you want to stop or start decoding automatically. For example, for StuffIt files, find a file that ends in ".sit", or for Zip files, find a file that ends in ".zip".
- Select the file.
- Choose Remote > Get Info .
- Click the disclosure triangle next to the Transfer Options label at the bottom of the info window to display the Transfer Options pane, if it's not already displayed.
- Check or uncheck the Automatically decode files like this checkbox.
Note that the Automatically decode files like this checkbox in the info window will be disabled if the Allow automatic decoding of downloaded files checkbox in the Download Preferences pane is unchecked.
When automatic decoding for a kind of file is on, any time you download a file with the same extension, Fetch will automatically decode or expand that file. When automatic decoding is off, Fetch will just save the original file. Automatic decoding may not apply if you have also selected the Open files like this or Edit files like this options for this kind of file in Transfer Options.
You can also use the Transfer Options pane of the info window to tell Fetch to automatically open or automatically edit certain kinds of files. Also see the Transfer Options help topic for more information.