Your best friend for file transfer.Fetch
Username and password list (2 posts)
- Started 7 years ago by Rodney Harris
- Latest reply 7 years ago from Scott McGuire
Rodney Harris Member
I work in an office with PC's and they have one Mac left that uses Fetch. They would like to gather all FTP info stored in the machine and transfer to the PC's. Is there a way to gather the FTP info that is stored in the Fetch app? Something like a list that will show the password especially.
Thanks in advance.
Scott McGuire Administrator
I assume when you say the "FTP info stored in Fetch" you mean the Fetch Shortcuts.
There isn't a way to export the shortcuts as a tabbed list, or something similar, sorry.
One thing you could try is:
* Select all the shortcuts
* Drag them to a text window on the Mac
With most versions of Fetch, that will create a list of ftp URLs equivalent to the shortcuts. I don't know if that would be good enough for your purposes or not; and the URLs wouldn't include the passwords.
Otherwise, the best I can suggest is that you select each shortcut, go to the Shortcuts menu, and choose Edit Shortcut. (In Fetch 4, go to the Customize menu instead.) This will open a window showing all that shortcut's information except the password. We do not re-display the passwords for security reasons. You'll have to repeat this for each shortcut.
Then you can find out the password for each shortcut by doing the following:
* Open the Keychain Access application, which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.
* Look for an entry whose Name is the name of the server specified in the shortcut, and whose Kind is "Fetch password" or "Internet password".
* Display the entry's details by double-clicking on the entry (Mac OS X 10.4 or later) or clicking once on the entry (Mac OS X 10.3).
* Click the "Show password" checkbox.
* When prompted, enter your keychain passphrase (usually the same as your Macintosh login or administrator password) to display the shortcut's password.
Please let me know if you have additional questions.
- Page 1